If you are spending a lot of time at home right now, you’re probably looking around and coming up with some great ideas to improve the look and feel of your home.
For homeowners, a home renovation project has the potential to add to the dollar value of your home. So where is the best place to focus if you want to take on projects that will actually put money back in your pocket?
The good news is that even though home renovation projects do require an upfront investment, its pretty common to increase your home’s value in return. With that in mind, there are a few home renovation projects that have a better chance of raising your home’s value that others.
The most valuable home remodeling project that homeowners complete is a kitchen remodel. Given that kitchens are at the center of your home life, it makes sense that you might want to renovate your kitchen, update the design and decor, and upgrade your appliances.
The average cost of a kitchen renovation is $65,000, making it one of the more expensive home renovation projects you can undertake. Now, that price is for a full redo of the kitchen and I’m not saying you have to do that. For many homes in the Bryan/College Station area, the kitchen isn’t even that old, so homeowners can perform a meaningful update without gutting the whole thing.
The places to focus for your kitchen remodel are:
- Appliances – upgrading or changing out dated appliances can have a drastic impact on the look and feel of your kitchen
- Cabinets & shelves – the biggest culprit of an outdated kitchen is almost always the cabinetry. Wood finish cabinets unless they’re a solid finish or custom carpentry aren’t going to wow future homebuyers. Open shelving, or sanded and painted cabinets with updated hardware are the way to go
- Lighting fixtures – recessed, modern, ample lighting is going to make a kitchen warm and welcoming. Focus on updating those old fixtures and replacing them with something that is both functional and stylish
If you’re looking for other places to make updates, you can also focus on countertops, kitchen islands, and floors.
Some of the tips you should follow to ensure that you get the most out of your kitchen remodel and renovation include:
- Plan the renovation meticulously by studying the existing kitchen, thinking about the traffic patterns in the kitchen, and considering ergonomics with drawers, shelves, and counters
- Place the design and functionality of the kitchen ahead of luxury appliances that might not end up getting used that much
- Keep the same footprint when it comes to walls, pipes, and outlets, as changing their location can drive up the cost quickly
An Exterior Paint Job
If you want a home renovation project that is not going to disrupt your daily life inside, then an exterior paint job is a good project to undertake.
The average cost of an exterior paint job is going to cost about $5,000, however, this project can dramatically increase the value of your home by really improving its curb appeal. For a modern appeal, go for simple and high contrasting colors between your main exterior walls and trim/accents.
Some of the tips you should follow with this job include:
- Do not overlook the importance of EPA regulations, as using the wrong type of paint could hurt your home’s value
- Prior to applying a new coat of paint, scrape off all loose paint and wash the exterior of your home before paint is added with a power washer
- Always sand rough spots and apply primer before adding the actual paint so that your home has a nice, even coat
When in doubt, consider working with a professional to help you with your home’s exterior paint job. This will help you ensure that the job is done correctly the first time and last long after the final stroke.
Landscaping for Curb Appeal or a Backyard Project
First impressions have a huge impact on how much your home is worth to buyers. By investing in a curb appeal project, you can give visitors and potential future buyers a welcoming and warm abode to experience.
Focus on items like front landscaping for seasonal plants and shrubs, updating your address numbers, upgrading your front door, and improving on some exterior illumination.
For homeowners that don’t a lot to work with in the front yard, you can also increase home value by making your backyard an oasis-like place to relax, entertain, and enjoy all year round.
- Add some new patio furniture to the backyard to add a bit more diversity to your backyard, as gathering spaces are always attractive to potential buyers
- Plant flowers and trees to add life to your home, driving up its resale value
- Consider adding an outdoor kitchen or firepit for outdoor cooking and entertaining
These simple steps can go a long way toward increasing your home’s value.
Consider a Home Renovation Project
These are just a few of the numerous home renovation projects that you can work on to improve the quality of your home and increase its overall value.
Before starting a home renovation project, it is a good idea to perform ample research on the project so you know what you’re getting into.
If you’re going to be working with professional contractor, collect multiple bids from potential hires to ensure that you get the best deal possible in your home renovation project. Then, enjoy the fruits of your labor and watch the value of your home increase.
Work with an Experienced BCS Realtor
Get in touch at the button below with any questions.